What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are very thin coatings that are attached to the front surfaces of the teeth, and are used for restoring the esthetics of heavily stained, crooked and chipped teeth. Porcelain veneers are not only highly esthetic, but they possess exceptional strength and durability which makes them one of the most convenient cosmetic restorative option for bad teeth.
Who can benefit from Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers can be used for the correction of a variety of cosmetic dental problems:
- Crooked and Chipped Teeth – porcelain veneers can be used to restore the structure, function and esthetics of chipped or fractured teeth.
- Permanent Teeth Stains – permanent teeth stains can be quickly and conveniently masked by providing porcelain veneers over the stained teeth.
- Excessive Teeth Gaps – excessive gaps between adjacent teeth, also known as a diastema is not only an unaesthetic condition, but can also cause problems in speech and eating. Porcelain veneers can be used to restore teeth gaps, as an alternative to re-aligning the teeth with the help of orthodontic treatment.
- Misaligned Teeth – tooth alignment by using orthodontic treatment can be expensive and well as time consuming. A simpler and cost-effective option for restoring these teeth may be to place veneers over them and restore their esthetics.
How are Veneers Prepared?
Fabrication of veneers is quite simple and is usually carried out within one or two sittings:
- Pre-operative Evaluation – to start with, your dentist will have a detailed look at your medical and dental records, in addition to performing a thorough clinical examination. Afterwards, your dentist will prepare a comprehensive treatment plan for providing you with veneers.
- Tooth Preparation – the next step is to slightly reduce some tooth structure from the teeth that have to receive the veneers, so as to create space for the placement of the veneers.
- Impression Making – once tooth preparation has been done, your dentist will make an impression of your teeth, which will then be sent to the dental laboratory for fabrication of the veneers. At the dental laboratory, veneers will be fabricated by using a porcelain that exactly matches the color of your teeth. Finally, the prepared veneers will be finished and polished, and then sent to back to the dental office.
- Placing the Veneers – at the next appointment, your dentist will try your veneers without permanently attaching them, so as to assess their finish, fit and esthetics. When the patient and the dentist are satisfied, your dentist will permanently cement them by using an adhesive cement.
Are you ready to get the smile of your dreams? Porcelain veneers can help you get just that! Visit your dentist today and start enjoying your new attractive looks and charming smile.